Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 10:26:06 EDT
From:         Lynn Sheeley <LSheeley@AOL.COM>
Subject:      List Sticker and Hat

Thankfully, the new list sticker has no reference to the VW logo in a circle. This is the only logo that is used for a Vanagon List Hat. The hat is still available for $10.00 + $3.90 shipping in a USPO express box or $1.75 in a bubble wrap lined envelope which could have minor wrinkling.

I am preparing to write a substantial (for me) check to VWOA to settle potential copywrite infringement for use of the VW in a circle in hats I made for resale. This is to avoid federal prosecution and threatened lawsuit from a company acting on behalf of VW. It appears this company monitors this and other lists for information in the use of their designs. The most recent issue of Hot VWs and VW Trends discusses this issue in editorials.

I hear that Sara's Toys had $6,000 in VW toys confiscated at a VW show. It seems that Walmart and Target pay a license to sell VW toys but when you purchase the cars you don't have the legal right to resell them. I also hear that VW reps will be attending VW shows this year looking for use of their logos in items for sale. If your club does an event Tshirt with a VW logo on it, I would be concerned.

To repeat, there is only one Vanagon sticker and one Vanagon List hat available which has absolutely no design that looks like a VW logo.

They are out there and they are listening. Wish they listened to the needs of their car owners with the same diligence!

P.S. I will happy to discuss offline this issue with anyone, but I am reluctant to discuss it in this open forum in any more detail than I already have.

Lynn Sheeley 720 Valleydale Rd. Knoxville, Tn 37923 Vanagon List Hat source