Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 09:04:06 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you pack your Westy for a long camping trip?
Comments: To: Stephen Steele <steeles@horizonview.net>

--- Stephen Steele <steeles@horizonview.net> wrote: > Hermann de Boer asked: > >Where do you store what? Do you have a favorite > system?

> 2) Under the sink... Drawer...can opener, serving spoons, cooking > knives, pot holders. > Top shelf...stacked plates, bowls, glasses > and mugs; long utensils, > kitchen towels,stuffed to prevent shifting > and rattling. > Bottom shelf...pots. pans, skillet, scout ax > (I don't know why) camp > fire utensils, pot holders used to prevent > rattling.

Interesting, we keep mostly dry food goods and the coffee pot under the sink in the cabinet area. The drawer sounds about the same.

The pots/plates/skillet etc. goes in the cabinets under the swing out table next to the sink.

> 3) In the fridge... > water bottle,an emergency six pack and > bottle of wine, a can of > vegetable juice.

I like to keep real parishables in the fridge like all meats, cheeses, eggs and, at most, 4 cold beverages at a time. The rest goes into a separate medium ice chest as we can "never" seem to leave in the camper without "too much stuff". But at least the real parishables will stay good especially if the fridge is only open for a cold drink and as I do a rotate new warm ones in to cool down.

> > 4) Lower door (beside fridge to the left) ... > Aluminum foil, plastic storage bags, picnic > table cloth.

Trash bags, dish soap and T.P., barbeque tongs and I don't know what else as I haven't looked in there a while...

> 7) Mirrored closet... > Foul weather gear in the bottom, extra > blankets, > our clothes bags go in here, hanging clothes > for longer trips.

Similar: heavy jackets, emergency odds-n-ends that hardly ever gets used. More paper plates. Hiking boots...

> 8) Rear closet... > TP, oil, folded screens, ship-to-shore > connections,insect > repellant, rags, spare parts.

Sounds like ours minus the TP. Also have games like chess, cribbage, all-in-one board & game pieces. Flashlight/lamp combo. Tablecloth, bug screen and a few paperback books. Candle lantern.

> 9) Overhead hatch shelf... > Tire jack, spare belts, rolled rug for > outside the sliding door.

AC's up there and, yes, I miss the storage space... but love the AC when I need it.... Otherwise, the stuff you put up there mostly goes under the bench seat.

> 12) Behind the seat... > Lawn chairs,pillows,our walking sticks, > broom.

Our behind the seat has sleeping bags, outside cook stove, Duffel bags full of clothes, pillows galore, 2 rubbermaid tubs holding whatever, more food in shopping bags like we're leaving for Armageddon...

> And saving the best storage feature for last... > > 13) Over the stove shelf... > Matches, small flashlight, work gloves, bug > spray, spices, nearly > depleted paper towel roll (fits better), > dish detergent, Windex, > church key.

That's pretty much ours plus some tie wraps tooth brushes, mini-flashlight and some change....

The cargo area over the front is where we put a lantern and some chairs and a small propane tank in a crate.

The galley area is where the ice chest(s) go along with more bags of food probably as we all know we aren't going to have enough! :) Oh and don't forget the porta-potty right behind the passenger seat!

Cheers!

Steven '91 Westy '86 Transporter (Problem Child/Snow Thrasher)