Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 15:35:17 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: List Sticker and Hat lawsuit

Wow,

Help my ignorance here: I realize that VW has one of the most recognized and valuable brandnames and trademarks (which they don't change every 4 years like the Japanese cars) and they must protect it and use it. However, one look at their marketing style (have you seen their web site lately?) shows that they are trying to sell the VW culture, and not just cars. It seems to me that items like T-shirts, hats, and stickers are FREE ADVERTISING, and the excitement of the VW clubs and shows also promote the positive, happy VW culture that they want people to buy into. It seems like their IMHO overzealous attention to trademark protection is going to do them more harm than good.

So, VW, since you are listening to this list: We want the TDI in the Eurovan, the Passats (including wagons and 4motions), and the Jetta wagons to down here in the USA. If you make the new microbus, offer us the TDI. In addition, when the cabrio is replaced by the Beetle cabrio, guess what, some people might actually want a TDI in it! While you are at it, you could improve your customer service and give us a real bumper-to-bumper warranty. Oh yeah, you remember those Vanagon head gaskets? . . . . . .

:-)

Michael Townsend 90 Carat