Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 19:33:05 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transaxle - Movement of Gear Shifter Normal?
Comments: To: steve@syncro.org

In a message dated 5/24/01 1:42:54 PM, steve@SYNCRO.ORG writes:

<< I was informed over the weekend around the campfire that it is not normal for the gearshifter to move when you let off the gas while driving... >>

From my limited exposure to both, it seems to me that a campfire is a lot like a courtroom: while truth may exist in either locus, it is often hard to find. First, to my knowledge, there are no shims on the mainshaft. Secondly, if you look at the geometry of every component involved, it seems it would take one hell of a lot of slop in the mainshaft to cause the shifter to move that much. Lastly, the engine cum transaxle moves around quite a bit from on-throttle to trailing-throttle.

I, too, had noticeable shifting of the gearshift lever on one of my Syncro's. When I replaced every bit of plastic and rubber between the transaxle selector shaft and the gearshift knob, it went away and has not been seen for the last 47 Kmi. Perhaps that was overkill and redoing the shift lever ball joint would have been enough, but it was all apart anyway. Prior to the redo, two other symptoms I noticed were a buzzing sound from the shifter at certain road speeds (around 60 - 70 mph) and, with the shifter in neutral, the lever could be lifted upward about 1-2 inch without any resistance being felt.

Rich