Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2001 21:51:36 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Car covers for Vanagon/beating the sun

I'm trying to beat the baking effects of the sun in the Valley here in LA. Already my bus is being baked at about 100 degrees with things like the Westfalia sticker bubbling and it's only May. My guess it will burn the interior and crack the dash if I let it.

So, does anyone have experience/luck with any particular car cover that is light enough to use every day but will slow the baking process. I'm assuming a cover is better than nothing. And while a lot of soot or whatever it is settles on the car at night and will subsequently settle on and into the car cover I'm still thinking that a cover is a good thing.

I see several vendors have covers like Bus Depot, and Rocky Mountain Motor Works. I've used Beverly Hills car covers back east with pretty good results--both cotton and the "one-way" breathable fabric. But I definatley would rather not go with the heavy "one-way" fabric and wonder if paying the extra $$ for the Beverly hills cotton cover is necessary or even desirable.

I guess a fabric car port tent-type thing may be an option if anyone has a lead on one that's fairly inexpensive.

I sure wish the bus fit in the garage like it says it the brochure.

Any info or experience will be appreciated.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA