Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2001 00:05:00 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tools....

> As a new Westy owner wondering what the list would > suggest as a starter set/must have's for tools? > I've not done too much work on cars, so the tools I > have are mainly for around the house stuff. Would like > to put together a set for the Westy that can at least > get me through some basic procedures. > What do you recommend?

here's the deal. sears has decent tools. they also have stores. stores that stay open til 9pm at night and are open on weekends. prices aren't tooo bad and their warranty on Craftsman tools is good. do NOT buy any tools from sears that aren't Craftsman ... no warranty at all!

snap-on has good tools. so does cornwell and mac. but they sell out of trucks. and the guys that have those trucks are franchise folks ... they show up on a regular schedule at the service departments of the local dealers. they finance the tools to the mechanics who make their livings using those tools. they have a superb warranty ... break anything in anyway and he'll give you a new one, no questions asked. but finding these guys at nights and on weekends is impossible. and even finding them in the daytime is hard to do, unless you know his schedule. they do, however, have a much more extensive line of tools.

so what to do? get your basic tools from sears. get any specialty tools from the truck-dealer of your choice, after chasing him down and getting a catalog. check with local dealer service mechanics and find out when the truck-guy shows up at their place. just ask for a catalog and how he wants to be paid. some take credit cards, some don't.

a good list of basic tools is found in the Muir Idiot's Guide.

what i'd recommend as a starter set is this .. 1. sockets. get three sizes of sockets (and ratchet to go with them). a. 1/4-inch size. get the metric set, in a little plastic box. has sizes 6mm to 10mm, with ratchet and extension. very handy. b. 3/8-inch size. used most of the time. get metric socket set that covers about 10mm to 17mm. don't need anything bigger than 17mm in this size. get a 3/8" size spark plug socket (the one with the rubber cushion inside ... it holds the spark plug securely so it doesn't drop out when you lift up the socket). there are TWO spark plug sizes ... one is about 13/16" inch and that's the one you want. the other is a tiny thing about 5/8" and only fits GM cars. ignore it. also get some extension bars ... 4-inch, 6-inch, and long mutha about 10-inches or so. additional rachet ... get a long handle one, about 18 inches long. at least 14 inches or so. c. 1/2-inch size. only use this on wheels and suspension stuff. NEVER use these on the engine!! you'll break bolts too easily!! get 19mm socket to start, and a 6-inch extension. use this for your wheel nuts/lugs. add other sockets as you find you need them, like 27mm for the steering wheel nut. a long breaker bar (with flex socket-gripper-thingie on the end) is very useful for breaking wheel nuts loose. the 1/2 inch ratchet isn't quite long enough, but you'll want it too for working on shock absorber bolts and such.

2. wrenches. get odd-sizes. germans use odd-sizes for some reason. like 5-7mm, 7-9mm, 9-11mm, but also get a 10mm. go figure. 11-13mm, 13-15mm, 15-17mm, and 17-19mm. over 19 isn't really needed. get open-end wreches AND box-end wrenches (has loops on both ends). or the combo, that has open-end on one end and box-end on the other end. do NOT get any box-end wrenches that are 12-point ... that is, they have 12 little gripper-thingies inside the closed box-end. as the wrench wears, it will start rounding off bolts and create more problems than it solves. get only the ones that have 6 sides inside the box-end. this limits your choices, so you wind up having to get the 12-points anyway, but you'll regret it. :(

3. screwdrivers. get the set in a box. it's got enough to last you. and get one big mutha flat-blade screwdriver about two feet long ... to use as a crowbar to adjust your alternator belt. :)

4. pliers. channel lock, medium and large. lineman's pliers. and regular pliers (chrome, adjustable). that's about all you need. and you can do without the large channel locks at first.

5. other stuff. get a mechanics mirror. the square folding one. tremendous help at times. a magnetic Gotcha-stick. :) a telescoping thingie like a radio antenna with a magnet on one end. extremely useful for picking up dropped washers and nuts and such. a Gotcha-stick that has a button on one end and when you push that button, little claws come out the other end. also extremely useful. pocket knife. awl ... thing that looks like a screwdriver, but has sharp edges that run along its length. useful for boring out holes to fit a bigger screw. punch ... looks like a screwdriver, but has a sharp end. useful for punching holes in door panels for screws. drifts and punches. useful for pushing those dufus roll-pins out of the front seat arm rests. punches are good for putting a little dimple in the metal so your drill bit doesn't wander all over the place when you are trying to drill a hole in something. get one punch and a couple of sizes of drifts.

and last, but not least, a Tool Box! :) to put all this stuff in. i recommend a two-drawer affair. don't get the no-drawer lift-out thing, you have to dig out all the tools to find the one you want. with two drawer (and the under-the-lid tray/storage), you can put the sockets in the bottom drawer, the screwdrivers in the top drawer, and all the other stuff up top. makes it easier to find. put some cork sheets (or those k-mart kitchen shelf liners) in the bottom of each drawer .. it keeps the sockets and such from making that clinking racket while you drive. you ARE planning on keeping the toolbox IN the bus, right?? :)

good luck! joel