Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2001 09:41:10 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Sears disaster- LONG
Comments: To: mattf@clarityconnect.com

Reminds me of a recent fiasco my friend went through with Sears. He insists on taking his cars to them because he is constantly on the road and needs the job done quickly. However several times the terrible or non-exsistant work has caused him to come back several times to have it "made right". Went in for some brake work and when it was done they called and I drove him up there. We arrived at the counter and the helpful desk person hands my friend a alternator belt. "Here, when we drove the car out of the garage this fell off. We know you like to do your own work so we didn't fix it." I am thinking, "If he likes to do his own work then why is he here?" We go out of the parking lot and look under the hood. One minute and I see that the cause of the belt breakage is that the waterpump is seized. The car is not driveable at this point. The shop was getting close to closing time and just didn't want to fool with this extra problem. We towed it to his home (a Honda being towed by a Vanagon, now there is a funny picture), and he replaced the pump himself.

Next weeked he was back at Sears again because the brake work they had done was making noise. He removed the rear drums to find either a defective or old shoe (he had paid for all new shoes, pads, drums, and rotors). He sits and waits again while they put new shoes on (I think for the first time). They had also installed new front struts at this time.

He has been complaining of vibration from the front of the car. We make a very cursory inspection and find that the entire front end (ball joints) is worn out. Why didn't Sears notice this when they replaced the front struts? They had to remove everything to get the strut out? When we go to replace his ball joints (you see he is learning), I see obiviously old front rotors (see above that they were supposed to have put new on). I bit my tongue since I figure that it will be a long time before my friend goes back to Sears again.

Moral: Find a smaller local shop that has a good reputation. Because they are good, plan on dropping the car off and picking it up a week in the future (hey other people are already lined up and waiting to have work done at this place). You will waste alot less time doing it this way than having to go back and go back because of inferior or non-exsistant work. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242

[text/html]