Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2001 14:09:30 -0700
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Factory Manual.
Comments: To: CTONLINE@webtv.net

My original inquiry into the difference between the Official Factory Repair Manual, and the Official Service Manual (both by Bentley) never was answered. These are two different books with different covers and different prices sold at Bus Depot. Unless the content are the same.... but to find out that VW made available a more complete manual with service updates (all of them???) and more complete information has wet my appetite for more. Like VW made these available to repair shops... Does VW still do this? At what point do they stop making it available? Couldn't someone licence the info Bentley choose to omit, and sell it? Or if VW doesn't make this available will they hit anybody with a big stick who makes it available for "free"? And if only Dealers and VW repair shops had access to these manuals, then who exactly are the people selling these on eBay? Are they retired shop owners, bankrupt dealers? And are these books specific to the year of your make, or is there a date of publishing so you can tell when it was last compilied? Seems like there could be varying degrees of completeness in the authentic manuals floating about depending on the year of publishing... Do VW dealers still keep their service updates for Vanagons? What was the last service date issued for our vanagon?