Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2001 08:06:00 -0400
From:         stu schwartz <sschwartz@OS2BBS.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 26 May 2001 - Special issue (#2001-652)

I've used Delorme 6.0 and 8.0. the improvements in 8.0 are minor except it has more "points of interest (waypoints)". But it does help you identify fuel stops and time stops based on mileage and consumption (new in 8.0).

Basically I use it to map a basic route...then search for state parks and other waypoints to stay in and give me average estimates for drive times . I do need to go to each State's Park System to make sure I find parks that we can camp in... It gives good basic directions and identifies road quality. To change your your route you can either put in a "via" or a "stop" to make sure you follow specifc roads. I just used it to map out our cross country trip... Arlingotn, Virginia to SDakota, Teton NP to Denver and various National Parks, to Zion NP, to San Fran, down to Big Sur and back home via I-70 to try to hit some Phil and Friends shows in VA Beach.

If you buy their GPS it supposedly works with that on your trip and will "tell you" using the laptop speaker when to turn, where you are, etc.

If I didn't have it I would probably have joined AAA and gotten some maps and stuff from them.

--peace-- stu 1991 Westy, MZ MAGIC