Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2001 10:13:10 -0500
From:         andrewbell <andrewbell@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Calling all Syncro...

Hello List -

I apologize for the long drawn out story. I'll be as brief as possible.

If you have some time, I'd like your advise. Here's the scoop: I've owned an Van '84 GL for almost four years, my first water cooled bus. It has 170,000 and although not fresh, very healthy. I re-push rod tubed it two years ago, and it has run synthetic ever since. Platinum quads/K&N, good exhaust, SA wheels/Agilis, SA grill, nice complete interior. The exterior is also complete and rust free after a sandblasting session two years ago. Drives and handles great!

But, I'm expecting my first child and live in Minnesota where 6 months of the year can really be treacherous driving. Grandpa lives in northern Minnesota, and sometimes a 2 WD can get stick just by looking at it wrong. I've always wanted a Syncro for this reason but could not quite justify, or find the right one. They're damn hard to find!

Now I find one is up for sale in Mpls. The guy is kind of paring down, and the syncro is going. Please help me rationalize this as I may not be totally sane ( I drove trough a red light just to go see it - I NEVER do that!).

He's asking $2,600 as is. It is a 1987 Syncro GL maroon/Grey interior 7 passenger & it needs:

1. Dash fan 2. Inner head light lense (Passenger) 3. New/different rear bumper & all 4 corner guards 4. Engine tin over push rod tubes 5. New exhaust in 5000 miles (it's welded together to become air-tight) 6. New brake pads (the brake pedal pushes up when you turn motor off) 7. AC recharge (or I may just remove it and give it to someone) 8. Seem rust repair (same as mine for about $1000) 9. One interior arm rest and sliding door track guard (aluminum plate thing) 10. Some drive train work (it shimmies between 40 and 60 MPH) 11. A good tune up - super sluggish 2.1 12. Interior is really dirty (grease monkey), though not ripped or trashed

In it's defense it has new Continental M&S on 14" steel wheels, new push rod tubes, a new u-joint, fold down bed, and all the comforts of home that the '84 GL doesn't.

I know it will need periodic preventive maintenance, I can do a lot of it. I can't pull motors or tranies, though. Will I be throwing $3000 at it to make it a happening, safe vehicle for my family? I can do allot of work myself, but not the sandblasting or drive train stuff.

Thanks for you consideration, I value your opinion! I apologize for the disjointed posting - happy Memorial day.

AB