Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2001 19:45:36 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: kaibab trip report + cooling issues
Comments: To: bret <bret@STONEFLYTECH.COM>

Yeh, I was doing a little head scratching on that one. Couldn't figure how all that mud and debris got inside, but if it did ...a new pump would be in order for sure.

Sure missed the point on that one. My face is red as my burgandy Van!!!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

bret wrote: > > Thanks John for the note. The debris was all outside of the radiator. I > don't think there is any way for it to get inside to contaminate the > coolant. > > -bret > > On Mon, 28 May 2001, John Rodgers wrote: > > > If I had that kind of mud and debris in my cooling system, and knew I > > would have the hot tempertures and a fair amount of mountain climbing, I > > think I would change the water pump. The impellers can't be in the best > > of shape. > > > > Good Luck\ > > > > John Rodgers > > 88 GL Driver > > > > > > bret wrote: > > > > > > I took my two oldest children (6 and 9 yr) on a overnight trip yesterday > > > from St. George, Utah to the Kaibab Plateau (North Rim of the Grand > > > Canyon). This was to serve as a shakedown trip, of sorts, for my recently > > > acquired 1982 diesel Westfalia. I was curious to see how it would deal > > > with the full-on heat of the summer here in this climate. When we left > > > St. George (elevation 2700 feet) it was over 100 deg F. As we began to > > > climb the Hurricane Fault, about a 1000 foot elevation transition, it > > > became apparent that I would need to watch the heat gauge. The LED began > > > flashing. I was able to (mostly) keep the flashing off by turning the > > > cabin heat on full bore. In this heat it really didn't seem to make much > > > of a difference, comfort wise, anyway. We continued to have trouble the > > > entire climb. > > > > > > With many stops we finally made it to Jacob's Lake on the > > > Kaibab at an elevation of about 8000 feet. The air was sweetly cool at > > > this elevation. Slow deliberate travel in the hot house diesel Westfalia > > > made the arrival in the cool pine forest more of a treat than past trips I > > > have made there in a shiny new air conditioned Honda at 80 mph. It felt > > > like we had earned the destination! We stayed at a US Forest Service > > > campground. It cooled to the 50s (deg F) that evening and was perfect > > > sleeping temperature. The stars were bright and the evening meal > > > delicious. > > > > > > We drove straight back home the next morning. Naturally I was interested > > > in solving the cooling issue. This afternoon I looked around on the web > > > and decided I should make sure my cooling system was purged of air. I > > > warmed up the van and pulled off the grill. I thought while I was at it, > > > I would rinse off the radiator. I took a nozzle to the radiator and found > > > that not only bugs were rinsing out, but lots and lots of mud, sand and > > > twigs. I rinsed for at least 1/2 hour before the water ran clear. I > > > should mention here that I had found this kind of debris packed underneath > > > the chassis earlier. It never occurred to me that it would also be in the > > > radiator. My current theory is that the van was in a flash flood when it > > > belonged to a previous owner who lived in Springdale, Utah (next to Zion > > > National Park). > > > > > > I was able to purge a small amount of air from the system. With that and > > > the removal of the mud, I am hoping the cooling system will perform better > > > the next trip. > > > > > > -bret > >