Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2001 11:33:19 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Cooler hose replacement clues on 91 Carat
Comments: To: Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.com>

Air,

When the hose goes over a metal nipple then I use the stainless clamp. and on the oil cooler all connector nipples are metal so I replaced the spring clamps with stainless screw clamps.

BTW, I feel that the spring clamps are better suited when the hose mounts onto a plastic nipple. Rubber hose over plastic connections seems to have issues related to: heat cycle, thermal contraction, water pressure cycle and who knows what else which seems to conspire against a fixed clamping force to: drip, leak, sweat and ooze coolant.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat Cowichan Bay, BC

Ari Ollikainen wrote: > > >Ari, > > > >I replaced mine a while back. It seems that once the oil filter is > >removed, you can remove a rather large flat nut, this holds the oil > >cooler on. > > > >What I did what to purchase both hoses, and the large O ring that seals > >the oil cooler to the block. I then removed the items above, CUT both > >coolant hoses on the van and slid the whole assembly off. > > > >By looking at the setup, you'll need to determine which two hose > >connections of the four, i.e. two per hose, that are best done while the > >cooler is off the vehicle, and which two are POSSIBLE on the vehicle. > > > > Did you use the OEM clamps or replace them...the parts guy the > VW dealer that actually has BOTH hoses in stock doesn't have > the clamps? > > _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ > You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination is out of focus. > -- Mark Twain. > _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ > > OLTECO Ari Ollikainen > P.O. BOX 3688 Networking Architecture and Technology > Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com > 94309-3688 415.517.3519