Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2001 22:22:20 EDT
From:         David Feldstein <VWLVR1055@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! 82 Westy Water tank pump
Comments: To: dcates1@home.com, thewestyman@mindspring.com

In a message dated 5/30/01 10:06:16 PM, dcates1@home.com writes:

<< Karl is clearly a better source of information than I am.

I have had the same problem. One aspect of the problem is that on my van,

the water faucet switch was badly corroded. The other aspect of the problem

is a sticky pump. If the van sits for a while, the impeller of the pump

sticks, causing exactly the same symptoms as you are reporting. If you can,

remove the water tank cap under the cover in the back flat cabinet, pull the

pump up from the bottom of the tank and wiggle the impeller, which always

starts mine right up. After it starts it will work for the rest of the

camping trip. I think that there were two different pumps depending on the

year model, so my advice may only be valid for early Vanagons.

If you cannot teach your wife this trick, then it would be best to follow

Karl's advice and buy a new pump.

It takes forever to fill the tank. >>

Thanks for the info. I will try to wiggle it as suggested first. Thanks!