Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 May 2001 10:53:13 -0700
From:         Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: blue plastic circuit board
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

on 5/30/01 5:24 PM, John Brush at jbrush@AROS.NET wrote:

>> i took off my instrument cluster to clean it, and was going to try to >> take off the dynamic oil pressure circuit board from the speedometer >> (just disconnect the blue plastic from the speedo to clean the speedo and >> keep it from sticking). besides the broken plastic all over the cluster >> housing, i noticed the blue plastic looked kind of funny, stretched, if >> you will. i lifted up one end to see how it connected and *pop* off came >> the plastic from around the first of the four connectors. > > If I am reading you correctly, you pulled some of the flexible circuit > board off of the panel, which should not be a problem unless you break one > of the copper lines. The blue flex circuitry is glued in some places and > snaps over small pins in others, but there is no electrical connection > thru the blue flexible plastic. So as long as you didn't break any copper > colored lines, which are the conductors, you should not have any problems. > > > And on the plus side, if I am wrong, you can be sure the truth will come > out sooner or later here :-) > > HTH a little, > > John

actually, the flex circuit came off of the female connector that the male prong (coming off the actual dop circuit board through from the other side of the speedo housing) plugs into. there are six prongs and six connectors (like a spade connector, but tiny), and the connectors look like they're attached to the plastic...which popped off due to what looks like some pretty heavy torquing by the DPO. so now i don't know about the integrity of the connector/circuit link, and am afraid i will fry my engine if the circuit is compromised. is something actually broken here?

fortunately another list member wrote and said these circuits are available from vanagain for about $50. if the blue plastic is stamped with openings for the female connectors and it's just supposed to snap over the connector to hook it up, then it doesn't sound like anything is broken, even though it's pretty bent up. otherwise i think i'll be contacting vanagain.

thanks for all the responses. bill '87 syncro westfalia http://www.scruznet.com/~kasper/pics/westy/