Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 May 2001 13:19:51 EDT
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: need 1.9l digijet FI website/info
Comments: To: smithtj@nbnet.nb.ca

The Digijet is not much different from what was used on the air cooled Vanagons. IIRC (I often don't) the Digijet is an L-Jetronic w/Lambda.

Sounds like yours may have a collection of problems. Start by looking for either a massive air leak after the AFM or a whole bunch of little ones. Check all your hoses real close 15 year old hoses tend to become imitations of hoses -- a collection of cracks held together by a fabric sleeve. Your Temp II sensor may be shot if the engine runs okay once it is warmed up. Next, how old is your O2 sensor? Anything more than 30K miles is suspect (though even new ones can be suspect). Check the fat green wire with a multi-meter to make sure the shielding isn't shorting the signal. Check your exhaust system for leaks upstream of the O2 sensor -- this could throw the O2 Sensor signal off. All these things can cause or contribute to a rich mixture. The green wire can also cause a stumble.

If the engine drops back to idle slowly after you take your foot off the pedal the most likely suspect is your throttle position switch. Make sure the TPS is adjusted correctly. This could also cause the slow speed/off idle stumble you're experiencing.

Recent discussions suggest that too much fuel pressure can cause a rumpy idle and rich mixture. Do a fuel pressure check to make sure it is not too high. Also do a leak down check -- could show if you have bad injectors.

I just got my '85 running right (similar to the problems you described) after doing a whole bunch of parts throwing -- covering most of the stuff above. Inspect thouroughly and adjust everything first then start throwing parts and you can save a lot of pain and some money.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy -- 'Roland the Road Buffalo'