Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:52:41 -0700
From:         Chase Davenport <cedaven@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Chatters

Thanks all, for your replies. I knew I was presenting a general symptom with lots of potential culprits. I should've been a little more specific in my original message. But now I have an extensive checklist to work through. Let me push my luck and throw a few more questions at you. First some specifics.

Chatters came about after: removing failed 2.1 waterboxer engine with transmission attached separating transmission from failed engine swapping clutch et al (year old) to rebuilt engine from AVP (came with reconditioned flywheel) installing rebuild after attaching transmission replaced one badly worn motor mount in the process

Since fumbling blindly through the installation of the rebuild, I suspect grime/oil as the cause of the chatters. I was up to my ears in the stuff for longer than I would like to admit so it is likely that some made it on to the pressure plate. Yikes. Will it dissipate?

I foolishly only replaced one motor mount that was particularly bad and am wondering if its rigidity next to the older mounts might be a culprit. Is it standard procedure to replace all mounts at once? What about alignment of transmission to engine? I didn't use a centering tool but had little trouble pulling the two together. Engine and transmission went in easily as well.

Don't want to get into the throwing parts game, so I guess I'll start by tightening all mounts...

Thanks again for the help. Chase