Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:37:24 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re Waterboxer power vs Transplants
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>

Robert,

> The 93-later Golf-Jetta 2.0 is 115 hp @5,400 rpm, and 136 ft lb. of torque > at 3,200 rpm. >

The Vanagon.com site http://www.vanagon.com/info/lists this motor at 122 ft lbs at 3200 RPM. If there is an error, I'm sorry. Is there another source for the number you quote?

IF TRUE this new number would equate to 82 hp crank and 58 hp wheel at 3200. My guess is that at 3800 the engine could produce 10 more horsepower, for 127 ft lbs torque ie 92 crank hp and 89 ft lbs torque 64 hp wheel. While is better than a I-4, but still just in the same ball park as the other engines mentioned.

Are you using the differnt gearing? As the driving profiles you mention ie 5200 RPM in third and etc sound like Deisel gearing with a I-4 gas motor. While an I-4 gas setup on a disel gearbox would produce the accerlation, the fact remains that at standard gearing and 3800 RPM this motor still only has 64 hp under the pedal. What Rpm are turning at 65 mph?

Certain I-4 engines and mods made to them, can dramatically increase the > HP/torque ratios.

David Marshall I-4 is a modified engine at the numbers he has listed.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat Cowichan Bay BC