Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:47:44 EDT
From:         Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SubaGon resale values/ATTN lostranger
Comments: To: lostranger@mindspring.com

In a message dated 6/2/01 5:38:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM writes:

<< The rest of you may play all the "I'm a car collector" games you want, but I reject that trap. An automobile is a hole into which one pours money. Some holes are larger than others. We use our cars daily, and use lowers resale value.>>

Dear lostranger.

You are sadly lost indeed if you are making this judgment based on the recent discussion. Fist of all, my posting was a result of a spillover from Friday which you would have realized had you been paying closer attention.. Secondly, some of us do play the collector car game and do so profitably. I have not lost money on a car a held for long term yet. I say yet because nothing is ever absoute. And yes that is a selfcancelling statement. Thirdly, if you have been playing better attention my posts, you will find that I clearly draw a line between what is collectable and worth preserving and ones which deserves improvement.

Andrew was talking about resale value of vehicles with engine swaps. I feel somewhat qualified to talk about that since I have owned about 10 such animals. To get invloved with that many, I had to look over and poke a lot of others not to mention have to get rid of and/or retain. I have also been in the VW (substitute car name of your choice) game fro a much longer time than you could have possibly owned your Westy. I feel pretty comfortable in making that statement.

<<.. By that time, the body should be well past the condition to interest a collector.>>

This is short sighted thinking. That is why 21 & 23 windows buses are so rare nowadays. It takes all kinds of people to make a collector. The more common items which "wear out" but is still around, and the more "original" it is, makes them all the more desirable to most collectors.

<< I don't care about resale value. Neither car is for sale. What I care about is not wondering where we break down next. >>

It's nice that you can express your opinion the same way I am doing now. Don't worry I am not trying to buy your Westy nor do Icare about it's resale value. What I do care about is how you directed your sentiments to me personally via the list.

If you'd like to discuss the matter at greater length, please fell free to contact me by pmail.

BenT avid junkollector <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>

all rights reserved/no portion of this document may be reproduced w/o prior written permission