Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:08:03 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Opinions from TIICO customers
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

Apparently you disagree with the way Mr. Peter does business. In fact, most businesses of this type (importer) are esentially paper shufflers. I sell computers. I order them from my builder and, in many cases, have them drop shipped directly to customers. For this I make a profit. If someone doesn't like that, they are free to buy their computers someplace else. That doesn't make them, or me, a bad guy. If I took their money and they didn't get their computers, that would be different, but it seems that all actual customers who have ordered the TIICO conversion have had no problems. I think my prices are fair. If my customer disagrees, he should shop elsewhere. Again, that doesn't make him, or me, a bad guy.

There is risk in doing business. I buy and sell on Ebay. There is risk involved. When I sell, I have no risk, because I won't ship until I have full payment, so on Ebay the buyer assumes all risk. When I buy at Walmart or Sears, I don't pay until I have the goods, so the seller is assuming all risk (unless my check bounces). There is no moral imperative for the risk to be on one side or the other. I know businesses that won't take checks. They don't want the risk. If that bothers me, I can shop elsewhere. It isn't wrong of them, it is just a business decision.

If you don't like the price or terms, shop elsewhere. If everyone shops elsewhere, the business will fail. If enough are satisfied with the price and terms, the business will thrive. The marketplace makes the decision. That's how capitalism works. And yes, I freely admit to being a capitalist. I haven't ever worked for anyone else. I have owned my own businesses for 35 years. Oh, and when I started selling computers, I required payment up front. The customer then had to wait a week for delivery. Now I only require 1/2 up front.

If you have a bad business experience with someone, say so, but I think it wrong to call someone names (creep, flim-flam man) when you have never done business with them and thus have no information. In addition, it makes you look foolish.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Kay" <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> > It really rubs me wrong to see or hear about some creep manipulating > folks for a hard earned, ridiculous sum of money, and he isn't even > anything more than a paper shuffler. > I'm not at all implicating, that Mr. Peter, isn't, hasen't, or won't > deliver, but I have a hard time with the fact that he is nothing more > than an order taker, forwarding an order to SA for an engine conversion, > and for this intense, grueling, and difficult task, he Demands 100% of > the funds up front.