Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:15:22 -0700
From:         Jack Lockamy <jacklockamy@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Newcomer has Questions

To the list;

This is my first post as I am new to the Vanagon List. First of all let me state that I do not own a Vanagon vehicle...but rather I am the proud owner of two (2) Vanagon "CV" longblocks (2.0L hydraulic). I purchased these longblocks from a junkyard in order to use one engine in my "under construction" homebuilt experimental aircraft (see my website.... www.geocities.com/jacklockamy) and the second engine will be used for spare parts (if needed).

My purpose for being a member of the Vanagon List is to learn more about the Vanagon air-cooled engines. My previous homebuilt aircraft (see my website under PREVIOUS AIRCRAFT- SONERAI 2) had a Type 1 1835cc VW engine. I flew that plane without problem. However, the new plane is a bit heavier and instead of the aircraft kit manufacturer's recommended Type 1 2180cc VW as the engine of choice....I am going with the Type 4. Lots of reasons for my decision, but I will save that for another post.

I plan to keep the stock 71mm crank and add 105mm JE forged p/c, 44x36 valves, for a Type 4 2459cc engine.

Now to my question: Does anyone know where I can get a set of lightweight, stainless-steel exhaust "J" tubes" that will fit the exhaust ports on the Vanagon heads? My heads look good and should be rebuildable, however I am concerned about how to run a straight exhaust system (tuned, merged 4 into 1) to the rectangular shaped Vanagon exhaust ports. Also if anyone know somebody who builds custom stainless-steel exhaust systems, I would like to know.

I am located in Southern California (Camarillo, CA).

TIA, Jack "learning about the Type 4) Lockamy www. geocities.com/jacklockamy

[text/html]