Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:23:31 -0700
From:         Road Camper <vanagonlover@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SubaGon resale values
Comments: To: lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM

The reliability issue is paramount with many buyers, especially ones that do not know much about vanagons, but have heard rumors and urban legends. I think it would be difficult for anyone but an all out sceptic to walk away from my subaru van after driving it and hearing me declare the facts regarding the attributes of the stock engine vs. the Legacy 2.2 ltr. If someone still is too paranoid regarding the vanagon then they probably should be looking at a different vehicle. Many times I will dissuade a buyer chiefly because I feel they need to know about the idiosyncracies of the design if I feel they are extremely ignorant. But I also wax poetic regarding the Vanagon's virtues, and that part of the monologue is longer than the sturm und drang of my attempt to scare them off. -s of my (I>From: Jim Huskins <lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM> >Reply-To: Jim Huskins <lostranger@MINDSPRING.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: SubaGon resale values >Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:36:54 -0400 > >BenT (and others) said: > > > I believe hybrids are not in demand as > > much as an unaltered stock clean vehicle. > >The Lost Ranger Replies: > >The rest of you may play all the "I'm a car collector" games you want, but >I >reject that trap. An automobile is a hole into which one pours money. Some >holes are larger than others. We use our cars daily, and use lowers resale >value. > >I would be content to get rid of the autos we own except for the fact that >we are convinced we need to travel to places outside reasonable walking and >biking range. Our Vanagons facilitate that travel in a mostly satisfactory >manner, and I like them. They're both paid for, and they both have good >bodies. > >But the '85 Westy has grown undependable, so I've ordered a TIICO >conversion. I hope to get another 200k miles. By that time, the body should >be well past the condition to interest a collector. > >I don't care about resale value. Neither car is for sale. What I care about >is not wondering where we break down next. > >J.H.