Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 10:18:32 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 70's GMC motorhome ... too big? :)
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

Joel, during my years in Alaska I drove and saw untold numbers of big motor homes, and they all had one huge problem for driving in the Far North. They had huge ---read Very Long --- overhang past the rear wheels. This is a major problem in the Far North because of the roads and terrain. Drag like crazy when on rough terrain or loading onto ferrys, and the like. Always hanging up and tearing up the bottom edges of the body and the undercarriage....anything sticking back behind those rear wheels. I refused to ever buy a motorhome for this reason.

I looked at the site you listed and LOW! there was a motorhome with no significant overhang past the rear wheels.

Thanks for posting the site. At last a motorhome that has real possibilities for me.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Joel Walker wrote: > > > 70's GMC motorhome, designed from the ground up > > For those who want a little moore room but want > > something as good looking as a vanagon, > > but if the GMCs are too big, check these out ... with traditional > rear-engine, rear-wheel drive, and even a german engine (optional) .. > a bmw turbo-diesel! :) > > at 8 feet shorter than the GMC, and a good bit better fuel economy, > it's an alternative. ;) > kinda looks a bit like a vanagon, too. :) > > http://www.agencyrv.com/ > > and, it has the similar distinctions of our Vanagon: > - it ain't being made no more. > - guess who gets to fix it. :) > - limited supply of parts and accessories. > - costs not much more than a syncro westfalia (california prices used > for comparison) :) > > unca joel