Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:17:20 -0400
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: why so testy?  Northern Maine mini trip report

><<<snip>>>...northern Maine...<<<snip>>> > >Isn't that akin to saying "...a little pregnant..."?

Not so! Ayuh, definitely not so! You people "from away" can be so naive.....

Here in the Bangor, Maine area we absolutely know that there are TWO Maines. (Well, three if you count the state capital in Augusta but we try to ignore all that goes on there....)

First there is the REAL Maine, everything from, say, Waterville north and west, aka God's country, as opposed to the OTHER Maine, southern Maine, the Portland area, aka "Boston North" or "yuppie central."

I just spent the better part of the month of May traveling along the downeast coast of Maine teaching bicycle safety classes in local schools to grade K-8 students. I got the chance to camp in the Westy in some beautiful spots along the coast, my favorite being Cobscook Bay State Park. Had the chance to see many beautiful areas, sample the local seafood, and talk to many interesting people. IE: Had lunch with a young fifth grade boy in his school cafeteria and listened patiently as he described in precise detail how to drop the transmission on his four wheeler so he could replace a leaking mainshaft seal. Or one of the Raye family in Eastport who gave me a tour of their mustard mill where they still grind the mustard seeds for their products using 150 year old granite grinding wheels. Check out http://www.rayesmustard.com. Or perhaps the corporate type who deserted the rat race and now operates a blueberry and rhubarb farm with his family that has a view that stretches out more than sixty miles. He spotted me in the parking lot of the local general store where I stopped to buy a cold iced tea after a great 31 mile bicycle ride along the coast and asked me if I wanted another Vanagon. He took me back to his place where we spent the next hour and a half talking vans and blueberry farming. I think I am going to take him up on his offer of a blue 91 Vanagon 7 passenger with troubled motor - "don't want to make an economic gain on this" he said, "just want it to go to a good home where someone will appreciate it."

So if you get the chance, come NORTH and discover the REAL Maine! And don't forget to stop by our house for dinner, use the washer and dryer, garage and tools(god forbid!), or just say hi!

Best wishes,

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia "Gertrude" 1986.5 Quantum Syncro Wagon "Wolfgang" 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel "Liesel"