Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:54:29 -0700
From:         Bob McMain <RdRunr@ZIANET.COM>
Subject:      Wanted: Tune-up Advice

Hi list members,

I am ready to do a tune-up on my 87 Westy with AT & AC. I'm debating about whether to have a local shop do it or do it myself. Please send me your advice on tuning it to the best running condition for my location at 5000' elevation with trips to higher elevations. I have metric tools and a timing light. Here's the current data on the Westy: 1) last tune-up was by previous owner at 60,000 miles, including AT service. I purchased the van with 69,500 miles on the odo 2) now has 75,300 miles on odo 3) usually idles at about 750rpm 4) intermittent low idle---400rpm, and intemittent stall from idle 5) usually starts quickly, however, last weekend I had trouble starting it at Sandia Crest---10,400' elevation---after the van had been driven to the Crest without problems, and it had sat there for about two hours. It seemed to be flooded and started after about 6-8 tries over a 15 minute period.

Your feedback on tuning tips, brand name parts, adjustments, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

Bob 87 Westy "RDRUNR1" Albuquerque

[text/html]