Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:39:52 -0600
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Battery?

Well, my van wouldn't start yesterday. The starter would turn, but the engine did not start up. So, I charged it up all night and tried again in the morning and the van started right up.

So, I played with the battery. Tested the electrolite (?) with the hydrometer (?) and all the cells read ok (all about 1.275). So, I filled the cells up with distilled water (I have never done this and they needed some water, but the plates were still under water so I think no harm done).

Then I hooked up a voltmeter to the battery and turned on my high beams, radio and interior light for about 10 minutes. The voltage never dropped below 12 volts this whole time. I then started up the van watching the volt meter. It then went up to about 13.1 or 13.2 volts. And then all of a sudden the van died. Now it was just like yesterday, the starter was turning the engine, but the engine wasn't starting.

So, any ideas? I now have the charger hooked back up to the battery, but I think the battery passed the "load test" and is probably fine. What else can I check?

(As a side note, my idle has been rough and something is also wrong with it. I've been hunting for a solution for that for some time. There problems are possibly/probably related. I'm going to try a different ecu as I have tried a slew of other things, but I'm waiting on the ecu).

Thanks, Blake SLC, UT