Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:40:27 -0700
From:         Leslie Shiaman <lamusicamellama@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Water pump job in progress. 84 Westy 1.9L. Need advice.

Listees -

My summer water pump project is nearly half-way over. So far I have loosened all bolts to pipes and water pump, but have run into a couple rough spots. Here they are:

1) To drain coolant (I am flushing system and using a stop leak treatment while I am at it), Bentley says to drain at holes under each head. Some of you may have the kind of shield underneath each head that requires the turn of 3 or 4 screws. Should be no problem, but I couldn't get the shield off of the passenger side because some clown welded the exhaust pipe in the wrong spot and the shield screw meets it! So I jacked the passenger side up a couple times in hopes of draining the stuff out to the other side. I guess that's no biggie.

2) My van has a/c, and the previous owners told me that it hasn't worked in a while. I live in a cool climate anyway and have had thoughts of removing the system. Maybe this is not the best time, or is it? I'd really like to get the compressor out of there since I can't unscrew the hose clamp that goes to the t-stat housing. Also it looks like I'll need to at least adjust the compressor, get the belt off in order to back the water pump out of there. Here's the rub: I spent some time today (don't want to say how long) trying to move the a/c compressor. There are two screws that fasten it on the pivoting track, I got those loose; what else needs loosening? I tried the 6mm hex bolts on the upper right side of the compressor. They wouldn't move for me today. There are screws at the bottom of it. What about those? And what about the pipes that feed into the back of it. I think they're still charged up. That t-stat hose clamp is right beneath the compressor and there's no way to get a screw driver in there without moving the compressor.

3) I tried to pull the upper coolant pipe out of the housing above the water pump(disconnected on passenger side). This is supposed to be a slip-fit on the driver side, right? How come it won't pull out?

I think I have covered what is holding me up right now. I would like to take the a/c system out and use the vent space as a storage cabinet, but that can wait if too involved. If not could I at least get the compressor out for good?

Thanks a lot.

Les 84 Westy 1.9L ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.