Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:26:06 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: performance mods for wbx
Comments: To: bikeputz@hotmail.com

<<<I am considering adding ratio rockers, a free flow exhaust and maybe a k+nair filter on a sound and otherwise stock 2.1 wbx.My Questions are what kindof power improvement can I expect,what rockers will work best with a stockengine (1:4 1:3 or 1:25)>>>

It depends on your budget as to what ratio rockers to use and IF you plan to rebuild in the future.

I would use the 1.25 ratio IF you are not going to add the Aussie ECU upgrade chip. The chip allows the ECU to better handle the changes in airflow that the higher ratio rockers add.

CB Performance upgrade from stock parts: 1628 Cromoly Push Rods 90,000 PSI $44.95 1665 Rhino 1.25 Ratio Rockers $119.95 1642 Rhino Feet (Porsche 911 style valve adjusting screws) $32.95 1643 High Performance Rocker Shafts $31.95 1534 Rocker Arm pads $4.95 1644 Rocker Arm Spacer kit $10.95 1691 Clip On Valve Covers $16.95--- YOU WILL NEED a bigger rocker cover if you use ratios rockers!!

Talk to David at:

david@clubvw.org.au

He sells the chip.

If you are adding the chip then 1.3 or 1.4 ratio depends if you plan to rebuild in the future AND change the cam profile to increase the lift.

IF you are NOT going to change the cam use 1.4 If you are going to change the cam us 1.3.

There are several different brands to choose from: Berg, CB Performance, Autocrat, Pauter.

There are two different styles the slider and roller tip.

Pauter is the only one I know that has the roller tip. This has a roller that contacts the valve tip and rolls across the tip rather than sliding across the tip.

I like the roller tip because it reduces the friction on the valve tip that leads to the stem wearing out the guide. I also like the fact that these rockers are light weight aluminum billets that reduce the rocker weight and eliminates the need for heavier valve springs. When you increase lift you also need to increase valve spring pressure to keep from going into valve float, but when you do, you increase cam and lifter wear and reduce HP. Reducing the valve train weight that the spring has to push, increases the working spring pressure and keeps you from having to go to heavier springs, so you get the benefit of ratio rockers without the penalty of heavier springs.

Costs are @300 ~330 for a set of rockers. Look in VW mags for the best prices.

I think that the Berg set ($400) includes push rods.

The other sets you need to add cut to fit Cromoly push rods. These are stronger and lighter than stock the steel. Cost ~$40 to $60.

As far as muffler, I choose the A-1 Performance 12470 Northwest Freeway Houston, Texas 77092

Phone - (716) 889-2786 Fax - (716) 889-5218

<A HREF="http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm">http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm</A>

Information: <A HREF="http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm">http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm</A>

Part Number 17783 <A HREF="http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_page2.htm"> http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_page2.

htm</A>

Cost: <A HREF="http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_price.htm"> http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/mufflers/super_turbo_mufflers_price.

htm</A><A HREF="file://C:\My%20Documents\Web%20Design\Vanagon-for%20CDROM\WasserboxerPower\Spreadsheets\WebSheets\A-1%20Performance.htm">Parts List</A>l DynoMax Turbo Muffler

It is basically a bolt in with you needing to get: A three bolt European flange (the muffler comes with a two bolt)     Bend the stock mounts done a little to allow the muffler to fit.

As far as tail pipe you can have one made, use a forty-five degree 2" extension pipe (from Autozone) and a single Monza tip. That requires no welding or expensive shop time. Total cost is @$100

K&N

Source for K&N airfilter:

Performance International 696 West 18th Street Costa Mesa, CA 92627 1-800-522-1672 <A HREF="http://www.performanceintl.com/">http://www.performanceintl.com/</A> Email: <A HREF="mailto:performanceintl@virtualrep.com">performanceintl@virtualrep.com</A><A HREF="file://\Spreadsheets\WebSheets\Performance%20International.htm">Parts List</A>

E-2475 K&N Air Filter      1 $27.42   (I think it is a few dollars more now) 99-5050 K&N Service Kit 1  $8.95 Shipping  1                         $6.50                                              $42.87

Use the Bosch Quad tip plugs I am using the platinum quad tip plugs.  They do not make a plug specifically for the WBX engine, but plug #4477 is the # to get.

Make sure all FI parts are operating correctly, intakes are tight and gaskets do not leak. Air runner

Robert

[text/html]