Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2001 06:51:01 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Easy vanagon repairs, yes it can happen-CLOCK
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <dgalcock@HEWITT.COM>

Doug,

The clock is a summer soldier, and a sunshine patriot...with apologies to Thomas Paine. You as a Canadian, may not appreciate TP. He was the phampleteer who may have libeled George III and gave spirit to the American Revolution..

My Westy clock has the winter blues and the summer brightness. I live in the Desert, so temps gets high, high, and not too low.

Dave Beirel suggested the problem may be, "a bad solder, something may be stuck to the small flywheel, the gear trained may be jammed, and/or most likely, a bad capacitor."

.He "thinks" they are, to quote him, "100uF, 16v electolytics. They're marked 1001 16... might be 1000uF. Certainly worth pulling them and replacing with fresh ones. Radio Shack aluminum caps ought to do, and even if you buy 2 100s and 2 1000s, it's still probably $5 or less. Observe polarity when removing and replacing. If it's not the caps, you're probably SOL..."

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia