Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:52:53 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Child seat teathers?
Comments: To: Mark Sheflo <skjeflo@HOME.COM>

At 12:05 AM -0700 6/4/01, Mark Sheflo wrote: >Has anyone rigged up or is there a factory retrofit that is available for >child seat tethers in the back seat of a Westy? Mind you, not just one >child seat, but two (twins). I'll take any advise you can give me!

Mark,

Kudos to you for being concerned about proper anchoring of your kids' car seats. I see far too many people who just throw their little ones into untethered seats and fly down the highway. Sadly, occupant restraints in the rear seat of a westy are not very good, whether for kids or adults. I'll eventually put in 3-point harnesses in the back seat. (BTW, if anyone has figured out how to install a 3-point harness in for the left side (cabinet closet side) rear bench seat in a westy, please drop me a line).

OK, my solution for child seat tethers in a westy:

The traditional approach involves drilling a hole in the car and bolting an anchor plate through the hole. I don't like drilling holes in my bus, and when drilling one has to be sure the hole is drilled into a structurally strong point of the vehicle, not just through sheet metal.

Rather than drilling, I had a thick plate welded on to the rear deck, just forward of the rear hatch striker plate. It is positioned carefully so that the door can close, the engine cover can be removed, and the rear westy mat lies in the right place and a sleeping person won't clock their head on it.

Drilled a hole through the plate's exposed tongue for the tether strap to attach to. Drilled two, actually, one for each car seat (I have two young kids).

It is very very solid.

With the hatch closed, it sits about 1/2 inch forward of the forward (interior) face of the rear door. No scrunching of cushions. Doesn't even rise up above the top edge of the cushion, either. The cushion *is* mooshed down a bit by the strap at the very rear edge of the cushion, but it's no biggie, and doesn't hurt anything. The tether strap runs forward at an angle of, oh, about 25 degrees from the horizontal. The only way the strap tension would loosen on this arrangement (except for failure of the plate, the strap, or the car seat frame) is if the vehicle were significantly shortened between where the plate is attached and where the kids sit.

To arrest the forward moment of the top portion of the car seat when rapidly decelerating, the best way to do that is with the strap well behind the top of the car seat at a shallow angle. Otherwise, any stretch or give in the strap or attachment points will get the seat rotating forwards, putting tremendous compression on the bench seat bottom--could it be possible the car seat could travel clean trough the bench seat bottom cushion? I don't know, wouldn't want to find out, but giving it a lever like that may be a good start.

Local welder guy made and installed my plate in exchange for a home made chocolate cake.

Hope this helps!

Drive safe, and happy camping!

T.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W