Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:10:11 -0700
From:         Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM>
Subject:      Gearing up for cross-country!
Comments: To: Aircool List <type2@type2.com>

Howdy Folks, Okay, with the help of the list, all of the engine problems are worked out on new westy/new engine etc on 82 westy. Now comes the fun stuff. We are planning a month-long cross-country (tucson to sacramento to DC and back) over the christmas holiday. I would like to get this thing geared up between now and then with all "necessary" accesories. I have checked the archives on some of this, but I wasn't able to answer all my questions, plus I wanted some fresh recommendations. Here goes: 1) will 27x8.50x14 fit well with the use of low-profile cable chains for snow? Any recommendations on cable chain brands/WTB? 2) What is the best way to haul a 16' canoe on the top of this pig? ive been told both the little foam blocks as well as the yakima racks? Any opinions? We intend to pack the luggage rack w/ gas cans, etc... so i don't think the blocks will cut it. 3) What is a good toilet to buy? I have seen small (3-3 1/2 gal) to large ((6 gal) units for reasonable prices. As I have no desire to measure my own output, I don't know what size will be adequate. i don't mind emptying it, just don't want to do it all the time and don't want to sacrifice size for appetite;-) We are two adults who drink alot of beer and eat a lot of steak! 4) I want to add some lights to the front of this thing. The bus already has halogens (sylvania), but htey are not nearly bright enough, especially off-road. Has anybody tried any good combinations of offroad/driving/fog lights they would recommend? 5)What shocks are best for heavy loading and offroad driving? This is one area that i am not afraid to spend money in, so I was considering air-adjustables. Will they do anything to the ride height? If so, enough to throw off alignment?

That's all i can think of for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to overdo everything to make this thing as "heavy-duty" as possible as I use this thing heavily off-road and my eyes tend to be bigger than my tires (and please, don't recommend I get a syncro...I have tuition bills and two dogs to feed!) Thanks much Mike Edwards 82 Westy PS---I caught hte wolfsburg debate last month and several people swore up and down that the wolfsburg edition didn't appear until 1984. Is this right? I have an 82 w/ wolfsburg emblems and all hte upgrades? Did somebody just slap this stuff on?

Get 250 color business cards for FREE! http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/