Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:46:41 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mjruskin@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: how many photographers are among us?

I guess, in a sense I can be called a photographer, too.

In the early 90's, I developed, and published a CD-ROM called "Images from the Edge".

It was, and still remains - totally unique.

I was into a new technology called "Scanning Probe Microscopy" or SPM. This is a special type of microscope that creates quantitative maps of the elevation of surfaces - extremely small surfaces - sub-nanometer - if you want. Arrays of atoms in a lattice structure, for example. Images not only of physical structures, but magnetic fields and capacitance, etc, too. Doesn't use a lense, uses a probe that rasters across the surface.

Anyhow, I got these datasets of spm data from researchers all over the world - and then I made 3-d mesh models of them, whch I then rendered, false-coloured, and illuminated. (On a Silicon Graphics Indigo computer).

To make a long story short - the images were beautiful. One of them was used as a cover for "Physics Today" magazine.

That image was a beautiful, mysterious rendering of a single CD pit from Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" CD. (Not just any cd bit, you understand).

My favorite is a silicon surface, it looks like cumulous clouds, and you can see the missing atoms (defects) in the surface clearly as holes, and you can totally see the 7X7 atomic lattice structure.

Once company bought 1000 of my CD's to resell, - since they were going to make a product like mine anyways - why not just resell mine?

The company? Spyglass Inc of Champaign-Urbana, noteable for being the company that licensed Mosiac to Microsoft (check your IE for copyright credits) and also the very first dot-com to go public.

They subsequently had me do a CD especially for them called "Frontiers", but that's another story I'll have to save for later.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny Loerzel" <jensmiles2@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 2:52 PM Subject: how many photographers are among us?