Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:58:20 GMT
From:         Jeff Warner <jwarner@NETWALK.COM>
Subject:      Rear Wheel Bearings again.

Hello again listees.

Hopefully this will be a simple question.

I got the axle nuts loose last night without any problems. I decided to go the simple route and purchased the correct 3/4" socket (1-13/16" by the way) and using a 6' pipe broke them loose easily.

Now I'm looking at the Bentley and wondering how I'm going to proceed. As usual the Bentley is lacking details but it would appear it wants me to remove the bearing housing from the trailing arm and then remove the axle shaft from the drive shaft. Then press the axle shaft out of the bearing housing. This all seems a bit unlikely since the bolts holding the axle shaft to the drive shaft are enclosed inside the trailing arm housing and it seems I would also have to remove the drive shaft from the transaxle in order to get the clearance needed to separate the drive shaft from the axle shaft.

I can't help but think this is all quite unnecessary. That the more common method of getting to the bearings would be to simply unbolt the bearing housing from the trailing arm and then pull it off the axle. Leaving the axle and drive shafts still bolted together inside the trailing arm. The only possible drawbacks to this method would be if the axle shaft is frozen on the bearing and then I could risk damaging the CV joints if I pulled too hard.

Am I right in my thinking here or what?

Also, I don't actually need a press for either of these bearings do I?

Thanks.

Jeff Warner '86 Weekender '87 GL