Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jun 2001 20:19:00 EDT
From:         Tom Stone <TStone8359@AOL.COM>
Subject:      List Census

OK, I give.

Tom Stone 54 years old Male Married 29.5 years to Mary Ann. Three sons, one daughter. One son is married, lives in Florida, drives a 2000 New Beetle. Another son will marry in August, lives in Oregon, drives a '78 Westy, an '80 Vanagon and an '82 Vanagon. Third son just graduated from high school, drives an '86 Scirocco. Daughter got her license a week ago Friday. Drove the '96 Jetta with manual trans. Shocked the tester. Passed first try. Will get her own '91 Jetta next month. Brought them up well, didn't I?

Technical Business Analyst in the Systems department for large mid-west based insurance company, 34 years. US Navy before that (remember that thread?).

Live in Bloomington, IL (about 2 hrs. south of Chicago).

Born in Ohio, graduated from Ohio State, lived there til '84. Taught computer programming at Ohio State and the local community college in the evenings (FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL). Lived in Frederick, MD for 4 years (I miss the Hershey and Carlisle car shows and the Manassas Bug Outs). Now serving a life sentence here in "corporate".

Currently own: '91 Vanagon Carat '96 Jetta '87 Vanagon partsmobile '85 Westy '91 Jetta '71 Westy '63 Sunroof bug '57 Porsche 356A Coupe

Have owned: '51, '55(2), '56, '57(3), '63, '65, '66, '67(3), '69, '70(2) Bugs '68, '70 bug convertibles '69, '70(2) Ghias '68, '71, '72 Squarebacks '60, '63, '66, '67 Split window busses ' 71(2), '77, '78(2) Bay window busses '78, '79, '80, '82, '84 (2, 1 diesel) Rabbits '87 Jetta '83.5 Westy, '85 Vanagons '62 356B Porsche Coupe

Had a bunch of kids in the back seat of a van 10-15 years ago coming back from a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. One of the kids was bragging about how many cars his dad had (6). My kid, God bless him, said, "That's nuthin', my dad has 20!" It was pretty quiet after that.

Last American new car I bought was a '70 Pontiac Le Mans. Bought three Datsuns after that (remember the last energy crisis?). They rusted away quickly. Bought a '76 VW Van and never looked back.

Hobbies:  I like to work on cars, read list e-mail, attend kids' sporting events, do home repairs, and travel (Colorado in August, Mexico in November). My last quarter of college, I had an open hour in my class schedule. I wanted to take a photography class, but elected to do computer programming instead (FORTRAN). It made all the difference.

Thanks for the chance to share.

[text/html]