Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jun 2001 01:12:41 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Ree: SinceUs &tc.

ok, everybody else is doing it so i might as well. done it before but apparently all you folks ignored it. that's ok, i'm used to it. :)

name is Jodl Volker, alias Joel Walker, alias Unca Joel. i'm the one that lives down in Tookalooka, Amabala, where the cotton blooms and blows, and the kudzu grows and grows. why i left my home in the south to roam round the Nawth, God only knows ... but i did. lived up in Chicago for a while. Mt. Prospect, to be exact. working with Untied Airplanes. :) for a mental picture (is there any other kind?), go watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. i'm Grumpy. i'm the only one that made it out of those woods and got a real life. Happy brokered a hostile take-over of the diamond mine after the Wicked Witch/Queen was dead. his finaceer was that blasted Mirror. :( anyway, i figured it was time for me to find someplace else to go. me and Dopey left ... Dopey got into the PC market back in the early 80's and now runs a company called Microsoft. yup. got hair transplants and his ears bobbed. :)

i'm a meat eater. i love burned pieces of dead animal flesh. i figure my ancestors didn't fight their way up to the top of the food chain for nothing, so i'm gonna enjoy it. :) no big deal, i just like it. i enjoy stalking and hunting the wild sirloin at the local Kroger game preserve, but the sirloin is a wiley beast .... and can hide easily amongst the balogna and salami. you have to have a sharp eye and steady hand to bag one. :)

i have three buses. yeah, so what? two of them actually run. :( a 91 carat that i just finished replacing the water pump. it's a rescue kitten from a real DPO and i've still got a lot of work to do on it. an 87 camper that also needs work, but is driveable. and an 88 4-speed that is "resting" for a while. all it's gonna take is money and time. and right now, i've got precious little of either. :(

work? not so's you could tell it. :) i get paid by the state taxpayers through a state university. i go around to the professors and secretaries and explain to them that Ph.D. really means "Push Here, Dummy". :) i fix computer problems. and help manage a dormitory network (i do the grunt work, along with some other fellows. not the network setup or admin). got started in computers back in the 1960's, when a 'computer' was as big as a house and all we had were mag tapes and punch cards and disk drives were the size of washing machines (ONE disk drive, that is). prior to that, i was a college student, ditch digger (worked my way up to driving the tractor), machine shop helper/flunkie/machinest, sewer plant worker (really :). later on i worked with Univac, a large computer company as a field support gopher and then as a classroom teacher in Atlanta. was in the Army, a'sarvin of 'er Majesty the Queen (Nixon) for a while during the unpleasantness in the loverly countries of the southeastern portions of Asia. got to spend time in Australia (lovely place. neat people. great place to visit if you ever get the chance .... just try not to scream when taxi takes a turn and you see all those cars coming at you on the 'wrong' side of the road. :) the cabbies love that, and will drive even worse to get more screams out of you). more damned sheep than i've ever seen in one place. and if you want sirloin, you'd better make sure you order 'beefsteak'!!! otherwise, you get mutton. tastes ok, til they tell you what it is. :) i was there before the Opera House was finished in Sydney. also got to go to Hong Kong before it was handed back to China. nice place, but crowded. very crowded. and busy!!! they were just starting the tunnel from Kowloon the Victoria when i was there.

age? gee ...lemme see. i think Roosevelt was president when i first remembered noticing that sort of thing. Teddy, that is. :) or was it William? one of them boys. the first one i liked was Harry Truman. but he got the short end of the stick during his terms. them were some bad times in the early years.

what else you clowns going on and on about? sex? yeah. had it a few times. don't recall much about it except a lot of sweating and moaning and trashing about. it's been a while, so the memory fades a bit. i think i recall if you do it in the bathtub, you can get bad cramps in your leg. something like that. oh, what sex am I? male, last time i looked. i've developed a santa-claus belly (told you i looked like Grumpy. grey hair and beard and all), so i haven't looked in a while. if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

vw's in the past? first one was in 1958. been driving them ever since. had hondas (nice cars, but smallish), mercedes (nice cars but expensive to buy. not to fix, however. figure that), and porsches (REALLY expensive to fix!!). but mostly vw's. started driving buses in 1970 when i got out of the army (the Aussies used them as transport around Vung Tau, and they kinda caught my fancy). started in Vanagons in 1980 with the first year in the U.S. got a watercooled in 1986 and was seduced by the WetSide of the Force. :)

likes and dislikes? yeah. very opinionated. i'm old and i'm entitled!!! so stuff it! :) i figure just about time i get this life figured out, it's time to go on to the next one. that's the way it works, it seems. i try to treat folks the way they treat me. and the older i get, the more i find that Confucius and Ben Franklin knew a lot more about how to get along in Life than most folks do these days. people haven't changed in 7,000 years ... only technology changes. study history if you would know people.

well, anyway. it's late, and i have to go to work tomorrow. no, i haven't retired. not yet. can't afford it. my gummint won't pay me enough to live on. :( and after all that money i've been paying in!!! :(

oh, and i've been around since the beginning of the first list. if you believe that tom-fool Gerry Skerbitz, who started the first list, he says it's MY fault that he started the thing. says i nagged him into it!! well, i never! :) but i can recall when there were only 9 of us on the list. then 90, and now over 800. i've got pretty much about 800 or so in my outlook address book, waiting for the day i can get this furschlinger rexx stuff to work again so i can bore everyone with the Weakly Statz, like i used to. :) hopefully, this year. if the work at work calms down a bit. :(

goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are. :) ink-kadink-kado! ;) unca joel alias Grumpy