Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:00:35 MDT
From:         Joe Fortino <biker.pride@USA.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Lifter Thoughts]
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

I've done the same, only to have the slight clack return, test case one time I start not allowing a total warm up, drove about 100 meters and the shut it off, came out later restarted to plan my drive home and CLACK CLACK, really loud noise. Thinking the oil would work threw did'nt quite it down, so i shutdown 2 times and restarted and the lifter un-stuck itself.. seems this happens a bit

** hoping to get way more miles out of my motor ** still has penlty of power **

Joe 85GL

Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM> wrote: I have replaced the lifters on my '85 Westy and I still get noise from time to time. I have tried Marvel's Mystery Oil. It may help some, but I think it thins the oil some and my oil pressure is low enough, thank you. Some have said it depends on where the cam stops when you shut it down. This would explain the random nature of the problem. I have my lifters adjusted at 1 turn, splitting the difference between the Bentley ( 2 turns) and Boston Bob's (0 lash) settings. I hate to go tighter than 1 turn, because the lifters do eventually quiet, and I certainly don't want to be

too tight and burn a valve. When the valves are quiet, the engine runs good. When they are clacking, the idle "hunts" a little, often sitting just above the normal speed. Last night I changed oil (Valvoline 20-50 and Mann filter), and the valves were clacking away. They would not quiet a idle, even after 5 or 10 minutes. They only quieted down after a test run where I was able to run the engine up through the rpms. Then, voila, peace and quiet. Because I have new lifters, can I run 2 turns? I really don't feel like re-adjusting all the valves, checking compression and then maybe having to do it all over again. How in the world can you run "0 lash"? You must get some noise all the time. I thought the 2 turns just pre-loaded the lifter and would not actually open the valve. Is the 0 lash for old crapped up lifters?

Jay '85 Westy (the Hindenburg) Enjoy the ride before she blows...

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1