Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:14:15 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: what the vw waterboxer offers?? wasRe: 85 Westfalia beeping
Comments: To: Carl Cobb <c123666@EARTHLINK.NET>

Technically, it was called "Operation Market/Garden". "Market" was the airborne and glider portion, "Garden" was the ground force phase.

British 1st Airborne were to take the Rhine bridge at Arnhem. US 82nd Airborne and US 101st Airborne were to take the key canal and lesser-river bridges at Eindhoven and Oosterbrouk (perhaps Oosterbeck?). Polish Parachute Brigade to reinforce British 1st one day after initial drop. Garden Forces, led by KOSB's - Kings Own Scottish Borderers - were to drive to Arnham, within three days, five max., of the initial paratroop drop. They never made it and the British got trounced in Arnham. Monty planned the operation without hard-core intelligence. No one know there were two SS Panzer Groups in Arnham, and an entire German Army Group that the ground forces had to fight through. Ike okayed the operation only after Monty brought it to the British higher-ups - who, in turn, brought it to the US Sec. of War, who pressured Ike.

The entire operation was a complete disaster.

There's a good book on the operation called "A Bridge Too Far" by the same author of "The Longest Day".

Alan Bosch & Phred ('88 Wolfsburg)

PS - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines was doing some mapping for the Dutch Gov't in the early '70's. Aerial photos of the Arnham area revealed strange airplane-like impressions on several heaths. Research revealed, these impressions were made by burning and wrecked planes and gliders from the Arnhem action.

Carl Cobb <c123666@EARTHLINK.NET>@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> on 06/01/2001 10:46:37 AM

Please respond to Carl Cobb <c123666@EARTHLINK.NET>