Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:55:29 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: coolant temperature sensor

> Happened to me earlier in the year, Mick. When the van got up to running > temp, all power went & big black billowing clouds plumed from the exhaust. > Turns out that the temp 2 sensor had packed in. The ECU reckoned the > engine was stone-cold & richened up the mix accordingly. New sensor & problem > went away!

Peter, et al...

Yeah, I guess that's what happened to Daddeo too, but interestingly it would often happen way before the van got up to normal operating temperature... like only a block from home. Most of the time it did not send out a big cloud of black smoke (just lost power and misfired like crazy), although thankfully, it did blow out the big black cloud just that when my mech drove it... right outside his shop. that never happens, eh? Usually an intermittent problem will never reappear when the van is in the shop... that's when it runs perfectly, right? Well, they changed the sensor and she's run perfectly since. I still have my fingers crossed. Once, not long ago, right after startup she sent out a big cloud of white smoke too... symptom from the same problem do you suppose? Hope so.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Mick Hilo, Hawaii