Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:32:06 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      VW Howard looking for ideas...

Howard asked ne to forward this since he is not on-list at this time. Please direct your comments to <mailto:vwhoward@wagenwerks.com)>

Jim Arnott WetWesties Union, OR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

1985 Volkswagen Vanagon

Engine: 1.9 L / 4 cyl / Gas / OHV Fuel: Fuel Injection Ignition: Distributor-Breakerless Trans: 4-speed Standard Transaxle Mileage: 120,000 miles Emissions: US Fed emissions w/cat conv. VIN: WV2YB0255FH013540

Misc Data: Eurospec engine conversion Symptoms: Broken exhaust pipe Occurs: After a few months More Info: Repair history included below

This is not the original head gasket leaking, oil light buzzing engine that came with the van. At the owners request I replaced that engine with a more reliable one. This engine is sort of a hybrid. It is a combination of a new 2.0 engine and a vanagon diesel. By that I mean the long block is OEM with a different oil pan, mounts and exhaust system. The van really runs great. Both the owner and myself could not be happier. However, the exhaust collector pipe is now broken for the 2nd time. This pipe is located just below the exhaust manifold. It is shaped like a "J". It has a 4 bolt flange at the manifold, a curved section, a small pre-cat. and finally a 3 bolt triangle flange at the outlet end. Next is the vanagon original cat converter, then another curved "J" pipe, and finally the muffler and tail pipe.

The problem we are having is the collector pipe continues to crack. When it does this it is not even at one of the seams. The metal cracks and tears in a spiral pattern. The first one cracked after only a few months use. I thought maybe it was a defect. This pipe looks fabricated by the way. VW does not have a listing for it here on the east coast. I replaced it and thought all was well until this week. Now the pipe is cracked and I am not sure what to do. I would like to help this very good customer. I can not recommend another replacement pipe until I know why this is happening.

My question to you folks is, do you have an answer? Have you seen this happen with this combination of parts? Can you think of a reason this is happening? The local exhaust shop thinks it is heat related. Maybe a restriction in the system. This does not seem like the answer to me. The exhaust flows good, the cat is in good shape inside, it passes an emission test with no problems and, after hours of operation, it does not get hot. It just made it across the Country and back. I should add that in case you do not know, the entire exhaust system is bolted to the engine. When the engine moves, so does the exhaust. Does anyone know what kind of exhaust system the TII South African VW motors come with? VW of South Africa has been replacing the Vanagon 1.9 and 2.1 liter engines with a similar one as this. Maybe I could just swap the entire exhaust system over to that version. If that would fix it, we would gladly do it. Anyone know?

Thank you very much. If you are still reading this then you took the time to read this very long, wordy post. I appreciate it. I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Howard Pitkow Owner/Technician Wagenwerks, Inc. Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania, USA