Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:17:39 -0700
From:         Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM>
Subject:      Temp Discrepencies/Scrap A/C?
Comments: To: Aircool List <type2@type2.com>

Now that the lovely desert temperatures are approaching 110 degrees, I'm beginning to notice a pretty large difference between the readings of the cyl head and oil temp on my 82 aircooled westy. The oil sensor is sump-mounted. My cyl head temp never goes above 225, but hte oil temp gauge sometimes will read at close to 280. I have a feeling that it may not be wired correctly, as it tends to fluxuate with the dimmer switch for headlights, but i still think it is running a bit hot. The van has an aftermarket a/c from PO, which I have not used as I haven't been able to locate the dumb little belt for it. Will the cutout on the tin for the compressor cause this high temp? I would like to run the a/c, but if it is going to mean overheating problems and limited reliability, I will scrap the a/c and replace the tin, rather than risk breaking down. Would an aux cooler help? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks Mike 82westy

Get 250 color business cards for FREE! http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/