Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2001 08:53:43 -0500
From:         k1cajun <k1cajun@PIPELINE.COM>
Subject:      Re: new EV is awesome, folks -- check this

Yes, it is. I came close to buying one. There was a 2000 EV-MV for sale at a local CarMax (mega no-haggle used car lot). I had thought for a while that I would like a 2001 camper, but no dealer ever had them in stock. So I brought my wife to drive the used EV to see how she liked it and then use that as a "test drive" of a new camper.

Well, it was so nice that we thought about buying it. But we went to a VW dealer to see what a new one would cost and they informed us of the price cut (I've been off-list for a while). So a new one would cost around what the blue-book cost of the used one was. With better engine and wheels too. So I started thinking. MV or Weekender ? Or should I go for the full camper ? I had the dealer looking to see what he could get us since all he had was a GLS (base model with no bed).

In the end, I decided no. And that's what brought me back to the list and my search for another Vanagon. I figure it would cost less to buy a Vanagon and maintain it. And I can get my own hands into the engine compartment of a Vanagon. The EV requires premium gas while the Vanagon requires only 87 octane.

And a Vanagon just looks better and has that charisma.

But if you're looking for a zero mileage vehicle, it's nice. The main reason I keep thinking about a Eurovan camper is that I keep kicking myself for not getting a new Westy in 91 when I bought an Explorer. I didn't even go to a VW lot. Oh, I had my reasons - at the time I needed to tow a boat. But I've since sold the boat and the Explorer.