Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:26:15 -0500
From:         Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Digijet Timing Info
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@islandnet.com>

Hello Volks,

There has been some discussion on the list lately about the Digijet vans and the 5 degree atdc timing.

I run my van at 2 atdc and it runs fine for me, power is fine and 18 mpg summer.

I was curious about what the total advance would be with this close to stock setting.

So when I found a free hour and 1/2 today I took the spark plugs out so it would be easier to turn the engine over. Then I found my plastic compass with degree markings on it and marked the very rear pulley at 30, 35 and 40 degree's. It had a factory mark on it already that looked to be close to the Top Dead Center . ( I have the power steering pulley.)

After I had marked the pulley and put everything back together I started the van and warmed it up. I had all vacuum hoses in place and the idle stabilizer in service.

At idle I still had 2 atdc. At 1500 rpm I had around 7 btdc. At 2500 I had 30 btdc. At 3000 I had 45 btdc.

My only uneasiness in this report is that it is somewhat difficult to find tdc on the rear pulley by using a straight edge and eyeballing it, but I wouldn't think I would be that far off. I was only a couple degrees before the factory mark on the rear pulley when I used the compass to mark the rear pulley. And from my experience building engines I would assume the mark on the rear pulley would be TDC if the pulley is keyed on the crank.

I had taken my distributor apart a year ago when I had idle surging trouble, so I assume the centrifical parts are ok. Springs in place and weights lightly greased.

If other people would run this test sometime, it would be interesting to hear your results.

peace, Mark Ingalls Nebraska City, Nebraska 85 Vanagon GL 'Aimee Airheart' 75 Beetle 'Salvation'

[text/html]