Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:19:36 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Engine Cutting Out at Highway Speed

Volks-

I just sent in a long post about concerns with my recently installed re-built engine. Another problem that has cropped up is certainly not related to the engine itself, but to the control systems, so I am posting this separately.

Last fall I had an episode where I was driving down the road, and the engine just cut out for an eyeblink. It did that several times one afternoon. I noticed once that the tach needle dropped a lot, but each time it was too brief to look at the gauges or the digitool readings.

Joel Walker and another helpful soul suggested that the ECU might be grounding against the bolt on the westy back seat, so I taped over that. It happened once more, and then not again over the winter.

After I put my new engine in, I put about 800 miles on with no cutting out problems. In the last month, however, on a couple of short road trips, it has happened several times.

In both cases I drove 60 miles in the morning with no problems, and then in the evening coming back, I had three or four episodes where for an eyeblink, the engine cut out. Yesterday I was driving with my lights on, and noticed that when it happened, the digitool lights would go off, and the tach needle would drop a lot. The dash lights and radio stayed on.

With the engine running I have tried -

tapping on the case the ecu is mounted in with a hammer wiggling the wire connector to the ecu wiggling all of the wires and connections I could find in the engine compartment vigorously moving the key in the ignition

Ran fine.

I am considering -

Only driving in the morning Replacing the ECU with my spare (unfortunately not set up to connect to the digitool) Finding more connections to wiggle

It doesn't look like it's the main power system, or the dashboard lights and radio would have cut off. Last year I went through all of the grounds I could find, cleaned the connections and applied connector grease, so it could be a ground problem, but I don't think so.

Is there a relay I should check?

Any other suggestions?