Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:04:57 -0700
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: '90 vanagon--hose leaking antifreeze
Comments: To: ELEVENHALF@AOL.COM

While we are talking about being in the middle of the desert and having a hole in a coolant hose...

Remember that all deserts are not filled with sand. As we have seen from our recent post concerning a burning vehicle, you might as well be in a desert just about anywhere. I once was faced with a similar situation where I was 50 miles from home and while stuck in traffic, started noticing a white cloud in my mirror. I got it to a side road before it overheated and had to contemplate my options. I could just call the tow company and give them $50 - $75, or I could try and limp it home. Since I was near enough to a auto parts store, and figured that I would rather have my money for other things, I improvised. The hose that sprung a leak was buried behind the pulley and dipstick. Not an easy change on the side of the road even if I could find one. I purchased: 1) a tire patch kit, 2) some spray cleaner (carb or brake), and a number of small hose clamps. Cleaned the area of the leak with the cleaner, applied the patch per instructions, and banded the whole area edge to edge with the hose clamps. Now I won't admit to how long that band-aid stayed on Smokey the Turtle, but suffice to say it was definately long enough to get home. I now carry that combination in the spare parts kit always. BTW... Smokey (color) is a Syncro Westy (turtle) so I had all the water that I needed to replace the vital fluid.

Mark Rokus '87 GL Syncro Westy (Smokey) '87 GL Syncro (KiSseR) '86 Syncro (the hanger Queen) '81 Westy Aircooled '82 Rabbit Diesel ----- Original Message ----- From: Don Oldenburg To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 5:42 AM Subject: Re: '90 vanagon--hose leaking antifreeze Because of Memorial Day weekend, it wasn't coming overnight--so I started fiddling with the hose to see if I could somehow easily rig a fix until I got the right part. After two hours of playing with the thing, and realizing any fix I contemplated (including gluing it, strapping the break with a rubber seal and screw clamps, etc.) had to overcome the problem of the antifreeze soaked bust in the hose top (right near its connection to the top of the left cylinder), I finally decided I'd wait and stop wasting my time. Not like I was in the middle of the dessert and had to move on!

[text/html]