Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:14:05 -0400
From:         John Haddad <jgh3rd@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: On being well grounded
Comments: To: Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@hotmail.com>

Thanks Mark,

I'll give that a whirl to see if it makes a difference to driveability. I had no idea that the ECU was grounded through the case, but I wondered. I wouldn't imagine that it would help though, because when I'm testing at the ECU connector, it is completely detached from the ECU and wouldn't benefit from the ground you describe. Still, it seems like a good idea. I hope that I figure it out, because I know that an overly rich mixture over the long term will kill my engine. My goal is to find all vacuum leaks and bad conductivity so that the ECU can do the job it was designed to do.

Yesterday, I continued my quest to provide good grounds to the ECU. I renewed the tranny to body braided strap and the ground from the fuel pump to body (whew, was that one bad!). Very easy to do and it does seem to improve driveability (throttle response, even power band, smooth idle) although nothing radically different for me.

John Haddad