Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:28:46 -0700
From:         Jere & Beth Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Plastic cooling pipes damaged...
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>

Dan,

I have/had the same problem however I've jury-rigged it and it has been leak free for about 4 years. Here is what I did: (2 cents worth)

Bought a hose from the local auto part store. I don't know what make of car it was for I just told the guy that I needed hose that had a straight section that was at least 1 1/4 inches by 18 inches ( used my existing hose for him to match up to). Back home with hose.

I cut a large straight piece out of the new hose (enough to slide up the pipe by about 8-12 inches) installed with hose clamp -- it blew out after short while due to pressure and how slick the plastic pipe is.

Second attempt:

I took 400 grit wet/dry sand paper; coated smooth side with rubber cement, let dry; fold in half so now have sand paper (two sides sandy: used for grip) cut a piece about 3 inches wide by about 6 inches long enough to wrap around plastic pipe. Then I fitted it between the pipe and hose and used 2 hose clamps over the area where the sand paper was. About a year later I had to tighten one of the hose clamps due to a small drip. That's it

Good luck

Jere 90 GL 88 GL