Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:25:48 -0700
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oxygen sensor-replace or unplug?
Comments: To: Tewinot@AOL.COM

HI Phillip You can run with it unplugged for as long as you wish but you might wish to consider otherwise. The consequences are that you will be running perpetually rich and wasting gas. On anything other that a short trip, the cost of the fuel would offset the cost of the sensor. The primary differences in "Lambda" sensors is the connector and if it is heated. The non-heated will work fine, it just doesn't start working as soon. Your Vanagon has a heated sensor and as such, has 3 connections instead of 1.(2 for the heater, one for the signal)( some come with 4 wires and the 4th is just a redundant ground) If your not afraid to do a little work, the generic sensors are about half the price. The generics can come from any parts store, they are truly universal. You just have to add your existing connector to the wires. Usually the generic sensors come with splice connectors and insulating shrink tubing. The one caution involved is the fact that the Vanagon uses a co-axial wire (green) for the signal. The co-axial wire has a signal wire in the center and braided "shield" wire surrounding it. It is small in diameter and looks like a common wire. You must not short the shield to the signal wire or other problems ensue. If you are replacing the connector from your sensor on to the new sensor, you shouldn't run into this, it is only if you bypass the connector and connect directly to the vehicles wire that you should get into the shield. As far as removing the sensor from the pipe, they usually grow into the pipe, Good penetrating lube will help here as will a large pipe wrench. Heat will also aid in the removal if it is really stubborn. If you use Anti-seize on the new one, be careful not to get any on the active portion of the sensor, it will short it out. All in all, it should take you less than a half an hour to have it back if it doesn't stick in the pipe.

I know this is a bit wordy, but if I didn't know the specifics, I'd appreciate the details...

Mark Rokus '87 GL Syncro Westy '87 GL Syncro '86 Syncro (hanger Queen) '81 Westy Air-cooled '82 Rabbit Diesel