Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:10:52 -0700
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: One more question for the list
Comments: To: Riley Kettner <rileyk@HOME.COM>

Riley The symptom of 12 volts at both sides is normal. The coil is just a bunch of wire and if there is no ground on the other side, the voltage will pass through. The ground is supplied by the ignition module when it wants to fire the plugs. Obvioulsy that will only happen when the engine is turning over. The module gets its signal from the hall unit in the distributer. You don't say what year so I'm assuming it is electronic, but if not, the points do the same job directly. The low reading on the the coil is also normal. Usually only a few ohms. A good multimeter should tell the difference comparing when you short the test leads and then when you check the coil reading. I could go through an extensive explanation of further testing, but a manual (even borowed) would help you a great deal in the long run. One simple test that you could do is to have someone turn over the motor while you have a 12v light connected across the leads on the coil. I should blink if the circuit is good to that point. Use a small bulb if possible or a standard test probe if you have one. Not a brake light bulb, they are too heavy and you might not see the blink. If no blinky, then look at the connections for the distributer and the ignition module (grounds also). Sorry this is not much to go on. Good luck Mark Now when have the key in the on position both of the outside contacts read 12 volts. To me this is strange because one i know is supposed to be negative? Also the inside peg has the same 12 volts with the key on. My volmeter can only take 500 volts so i am not sure i should be testing for a spark.

Across the two outside terminals, opposite sides of the coil, there is no resistence at all. Meaning the coil has somehow fused? Between either outside and the middle peg are 3000 ohms resistance.(at cranking it doesn't change)

One more question. Does anyone have a bentley for sale? I am sure my questions would be answered by that book if i had it.

The list archive isn't allowing me to search today.. lol

Thanks everyone.

Riley Kettner icq 3666016

[text/html]