Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:59:58 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is "Jury-rigged"? (NO VANAGON CONTENT)
Comments: To: Rachel Cogent <cogent@GNTECH.NET>

---------------------------------------------------------------------- The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for May 10, 1999

jury-rig [n. v. JOO-ree rig]

A jury-rig is a makeshift assembly that's just temporary, an emergency measure improvised out of available materials, and to make one is to jury-rig. Example: "The injured hiker jury-rigged a splint out of sticks and twine."

The most likely origin is from the Old French ajuri (help), from the Latin adiutare (aid). In this context, the word "jury" was originally a nautical term meaning "temporary," as in a "jury sail." This is distinct from the other meaning of "jury" (a group of persons sworn to judge and give a verdict), which comes from Latin iurare (to swear), from ius (law).

There is also a related expression, "jerry built" (built in a slipshod, haphazard way), which probably split off from "jury-rig" as it migrated into English, although some theories suggest it originated independently. One story relates "jerry built" to the Biblical story of the Prophet Jeremiah, whose lamentations might resemble the complaints of someone in a jerry-built house. Another mentions the

city of Jericho, whose walls crumbled at the sound of a trumpet.