Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:49:41 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      2.1 exhaust flex, litter box

Hi,

Working on my '86 vanagon, trying to decide if I can salvage any of my exhaust system. Both of the header pipes are broken. But the system is not leaking anywhere to the tailpipe side of the thing called the "collector." (A cast iron thing that takes front and rear headers into one.) It appears that the "collector" attaches to a pipe called the "connector" which goes to the cat. It appears that the collector/connector joint is supposed to have some sort of flex joint in there. With 3 sort of spring loaded bolts. (I'm just going by the manual.) Mine is just bolted together and also is basically rusted into one solid unit at that joint. So I am thinking that if I don't fix the lack of flexing in that area, the new headers I buy will just break because they will have too much stress on them. Right? Comments?

In other news, I am rather excited that I just brought home an '85 full westy to transplant the camper stuff into the '86 weekender. It also has lots of other useful stuff like nice upholstery, good tires and wheel covers, a working ignition lock, screens, tachometer dash, rear wiper, etc. But, like the '86, the skylight is broken. I found that a large size cat litter pan fits perfectly over the hole to keep the rain out!

Edward