Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:05:11 -0700
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Latest news on No Spark
Comments: To: Riley Kettner <rileyk@HOME.COM>

Riley, The Hall sensor is in the distributor and sends pulses ( about 3 volts) to the ignition unit. Any reasonable mechanic should be able to to test for this signal. You have to have power to the distributer during the test, so it is not possible to disconnect it. Usually, a plug is inserted in line and watched for swing on the signal line while turnng over. If the mechanic dosen't have an adapter to get into the lines, you can poke them with a sharp tester that will read that low of voltage but you must re-insulate the holes in the insulation to prevent corrosion. If this signal is changing when you turn over the motor, then I'd look at the module on the left side firewall in the engine compartment. It looks like a flat black module mounted to an aluminum heatsink. Check the connector and mounting and then have the mechanic see if it is getting power, hall signal, and is generating a pulsing signal to the coil. There is also an item called the Idle Stabilizer in the circuit. It is the green box next to the ignition module and had two round connectors on the same end. Disconnect the cables from it and connect them together. This will bypass is and tell you if it is bad. That should give you something to go on for now. Also, if you are going to a mechanic that works on VW's, he might have a hall or ignition module from a golf that you can use to try and diagnose the faulty problem. I'm not sure which ones will work, but someone with an ETKA might take the time to look them up for you.

Mark ----- Original Message ----- From: Riley Kettner To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 4:01 PM Subject: Latest news on No Spark

Hey Listees. I mentioned before that I had no spark coming off the ignition coil. I purchased and installed a new coil to no improvements. New advice from a local mechanic has suggested a hall sensor. This is a dealer only part I'mtold and is expensive. Now before I go and purchase that, are there any other suggestions for what the no spark syndrome could be? I have the digifant fi computer incase that helps. Thanks to Everyone for their support Riley Kettner icq 3666016 North Vancouver BC

[text/html]